The beginnings of fall are in the air. And so are sniffles, itchy eyes, head pressure, and fog that come with fall allergy season. That is because communication lines between the brain and the rest of the body are being infiltrated by foreign bodies like dander, pollen, and dust. If you’re preparing yourself for this onset of fall allergies, you should consider adding chiropractic care to your arsenal of tools. Why you may ask? Chiropractic care can improve your immune system and the functionality of your central nervous system. Basically, chiropractic care is a natural way to find fall allergy relief!
What Cause Allergies in the First Place?
Even today in 2019, we still aren’t completely sure what causes some people to have more allergies than others. We know that the immune system recognizes and removes harmful substances from the body. This is done through processes such as inflammation, sneezing, coughing, and even vomiting. One theory suggests that allergies are a dysfunction of the central nervous system. Meaning that the central nervous system sees normally, “harmless” bodies as something that’s threatening, thus causing an allergic reaction.
What Happens to Your Body During an Allergy Attack?
When you suffer from an allergic reaction, the body activates special immune cells called mast cells. The membranes of mast cells can recognize substances in the body and identify them as either helpful or harmful. When the cells determine a substance is harmful, these cells then release histamines. Histamines are chemicals that cause the body to react in attempting to remove the substance through mechanisms such as sneezing, coughing, etc.
Fall Allergies and Their Symptoms
Summer is great for most allergy sufferers because spring pollens have died off and it is generally too hot for other allergens to mass-produce. Ragweed, mold, and dust mites are the most common fall allergens. The most common allergy symptoms include:
- Runny nose
- Nasal congestion
- Scratchy, itchy, or tingling throat
- Itchy, watery eyes
- Wheezing or difficulty breathing
Things You Can Do to Reduce Fall Allergy Symptoms
If you’re in need of fall allergy relief, here are a few things you can do to help reduce the severity of your symptoms:
- Plan outdoor activities for the morning
- Keep windows and doors shut
- Replace air filters in the home and have the ducts cleaned
- Shower and wash hair before bed
- Wear a filter mask when working outside
- Change into fresh clothes after being outdoors
- Do not hang clothes outside to dry
- Don’t let your child play in dead or wet leaves
- Check daily pollen and mold counts and stay indoors during peak hours
Chiropractic Care for Fall Allergies
As we noted before, chiropractic care focuses on improving the functionality of the central nervous system. It also aims to improve communication between the brain and the rest of the body. When the spine is out of alignment, the nervous, respiratory, and immune systems are unable to do their jobs effectively. Adjustments can help:
- Reduces allergy symptoms without the use of medications
- Removes joint restrictions and nerve interference
- Clears the communication pathways between the brain and the rest of the body
- Helps to open up the sinuses which allow them to drain properly
- Restores optimal function to the nervous, respiratory, and immune systems
Fall Allergy Help with Zock Family Chiropractic
Don’t suffer this allergy season if you don’t have to. If you would like more insight into optimizing your body during allergy season, Dr. Zock would love to discuss your thoughts and concerns. She can evaluate your body mechanics and help you decide what natural methods are best for your specific allergy relief! Make an appointment in Cranberry to schedule an introductory session and provide you with a happy and healthy fall season!
* This information has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Please contact a medical professional for advice.