In the last blog, we took a dive into the candidiasis infection. We discussed the ways you can become infected, as well as the different variations of the infection. This week, we want to discuss the best way to treat the fungus overgrowth. We (and many other wellness professionals) believe the best method is through the prevention of the underlying cause. And the best method to cure candidiasis is through the food we eat on a daily basis.
Eating to Cure Candidiasis
As we discussed last week, the Candida fungi are found in the mouth, intestines, and skin. And as we have discussed before, an imbalance of bacteria in the gut can cause a number of issues. What we’re trying to hit home is the concept of how the food we eat each day affects our bodies. When we focus on foods that increase and stabilize “good” gut bacteria, many digestive and other issues fade away. But when we eat in ways that promote “bad” gut bacteria, we can find ourselves feeling sick and not quite like ourselves.
“Bad” Bacteria Foods
Off the bat, we want to list the foods that will do more harm than good in regard to gut health. These foods have also been linked to candidiasis. They include:
- Simple carbohydrates (like desserts, candy, pastries, etc.)
- Refined sugars and artificial sweeteners (this includes condiments like ketchup and BBQ sauce)
- Dairy products (especially cheese, milk, and cream)
- Alcohol and other sugary beverages)
- Highly processed meats (especially deli meat)
- Grains that contain gluten
Please note that eliminating these foods has not been shown to fight a Candida infection. However, studies do show that excessive sugar intake can make infections worse.
Foods that Help Cure Candidiasis
Now that we’ve gotten the foods to avoid out of the way, let’s talk about the foods you want to be eating to help both build “good” bacteria and prevent a Candida overgrowth:
- Garlic – contains allicin, an antifungal substance
- Coconut oil – high levels of lauric acid
- Curcumin – can kill and reduce the growth of Candida yeasts
- Aloe vera – has been shown to inhibit Candida growth in the mouth
- Pomegranate – compounds within are beneficial to yeast prevention
- Kombucha – high levels of polyphenols and acetic acid
- Probiotics – can reduce growth and protect against infections
A Brief Disclaimer
While you should always want to utilize food as a means to optimize your health, changes in your diet may not be the only thing you need to do when fighting candidiasis. At Zock Family Chiropractic, we often suggest patients supplement with Nutritional Frontiers products. If you feel you need a little extra help fighting a Candida overgrowth, you can try any of the products found here.
Candida is not considered to be life-threatening, however, that does not mean it should be ignored. When left to its own devices, the overgrowth can spread all the way to the bloodstream. When this occurs, fungal growth can then infect your organs and cause serious issues.
Cure Candidiasis with Zock Chiropractic
Part of achieving our best physical and emotional health is through chiropractic care and massage therapy. Chiropractic care is focused on allowing our spine and nerves to work to their potential. This results in not only allowing our organs to function but for them to function to their best ability. Dr. Zock would love to discuss your concerns in regard to resetting your health. Her vast knowledge of natural supplementation and body processes make her a great guide in helping you make the best choices for your body. Make an appointment in Cranberry today to schedule an introductory chiropractic treatment session. We can discuss your pains and needs as part of my initial chiropractic workup for you as a new patient to our practice!
* This information has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Please contact a medical professional for advice.