With restrictions slowly being lifted across the nation, who isn’t eager to get out? Summer is upon us and whether you have plans for a family vacation or work travels, back pain should not ruin your experience. Enjoy your taste of summer again with some insightful tips to reduce any back discomfot.
Before you start your journey, taking steps prior can alleviate stress on your back.
- Stretch out before you start the ride. Warm up your muscles before you sit for a long period of time. Anything from toe touches arm swings allows for blood flow before you travel.
- Wear comfortable clothing. Clothes you are able to move around in will let you change positions often.
- Adjust your seat position. Assure your seat is resting against the back, following your natural curve.
Setting time for pit stops for you to get out the car will allow for your blood to flow. After being in a small, compact seat for a period of time walking around will help.
- Moving around at least every 30-60 minutes to get up and walk. Shifting your positions even alleviates being in a stiff position so often. Once you are up and allow for oxygen and blood flow, you’ll feel your muscles relax.
- Adjusting your seat position ever so often can prevent or decrease pain from occurring. Shifting your seat position or stretching your legs can alleviate discomfort as well.
Extra pointers and precautions can reduce any discomfort for your travels.
- Bring a neck pillow. If you know you’ll be in the car or a flight for a long time to sleep, a neck pillow can support your neck while you rest. A neck pillow can also support your spine to stay aligned.
- Packing a regular pillow as well can be used to sit on. If you are uncomfortable with bumpy roads, a pillow can reduce the intensity. You can even use your pillow to support your back for your natural curve.
- Bring an ice pack. Ice can reduce inflamed tissues and if you are experiencing discomfort in your back, an ice pack can decrease the pain.
Zock Family Chiropractic is here to help
If you have an upcoming trip and have any worries or discomfort, it is always beneficial to get seen by a chiropractor. As well as if you return from your destination and are still experiencing any pain, Zock Family Chiropractic is always here to help. Do not let discomfort hold you back from enjoying your summer!
* This information has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Please contact a medical professional for advice.